Is Mold Dangerous to My Health?

Mold can form inside of your home if you leave water in dark areas. The most common scenarios for the growth of mold is after a flood (carpets and floors that aren’t dried properly), rain storms (cracked attics that collect water) and in garages with leaks. Mold grows in dark damp areas, so if you ever see a leak or spill water, it must be dried completely and quickly (within 24 hours).

Mold is a health hazard and should be taken seriously. It can act as an allergen to some people, causing them to suffer asthma attacks and allergic reactions. It is also known to be a toxin and irritant that can make you sick. Mold is a fungi and has been proven to disrupt certain cellular processes in humans and animals. When exposed to high amounts of mold, you could suffer from:

  • Asthma attacks
  • Irritability
  • Loss of memory
  • Fatigue
  • Sudden hair loss
  • Kidney failure
  • Seizures
  • Flu symptoms
  • Eczema that looks like ringworm
  • And a variety of other symptoms

Within just 24 hours, mold can begin to grow in wet/damp dark areas of your home or building. It can grow on floors, carpets, walls, roof, ceiling, humid areas, books and can even be found in the air you breathe (thanks to floating spores from mold). There are different types of mold; the most common is called “black mold”. Fifty of them are considered to be hazardous, so if you find any in your home, you shouldn’t take any chances. You can either clean it yourself or have a professional do it for you.

It’s important to have your property checked for traveling mold, since mold grows and spreads rapidly. It may be growing in places that you’re unable to see, like behind your walls or in the ceiling. In order to get rid of mold spores in the air, you can buy an air dehumidifier. You can also hire a professional company to do it for you. Here are a few tips for preventing mold growth:

  • Dry damp areas in your kitchen, bathroom and laundry room
  • Keep lint filter in dryer clean
  • Clean or replace AC filters periodically
  • Keep the light on in closets that are damp
  • Wash blankets and pillows frequently
  • Keep an eye out for mold and mildew growing in your basement, garage and attic
  • Clean your home with periodically with hot soapy water and bleach
  • Run a dehumidifier in damp rooms and change the water it collects frequently to prevent mold and mildew from growing inside of it. Make sure to disinfect it as well.

To help keep mold off your belongings, you can store them in bins from The Container Store.